Monday, January 8, 2018

Monday - Time to get back to work!

I am trying to be mindful of my time and use it wisely.  I need to set goals and work towards them.  It's funny how retirement lets you have all the freedom you want but that can be a dangerous thing.  It makes you feel like you have all the time in the world but we don't....none of us do.  There are not too many things that I truly want to accomplish before my time is up but there are still some....in fact, really 2 that are important right now and I need to be working towards.  1) Moving back to my hometown and 2) creating a handmade/self-sufficient life for myself.  Of course, these 2 alone have many, many tasks associated with them so I plan on setting daily, weekly and monthly goals to accomplish them.  I will take weekends off and as such Saturday is still Craft Day and I will not blog on that day.  Also, I have my Goodreads challenge but it goes without saying that books have been one of the greatest joys of my life since I learned how to read so it is a definite priority.  Also, I am taking my 2018 word of the year....FINISH very seriously.  I will be refining my goals as I go along but most importantly I will be breaking them down into measurable activities so I can track my progress.  Someone once said that goals without action are merely dreams.  So I am calling myself to ACTION!  Maybe I should have had 2 words this year! LOL!
  As I previously mentioned in another post, I failed miserably at my Goodreads Challenge last year.  I have kept the same goal of 75 books which is about 1 1/2 books per week.  So, I have taken the 2 books that I am reading and figured out how many pages I need to read daily to finish them in the next 7 days. 
Outlander is 627 pages but I am already at page 175 so I need to read 65 pages a day to finish in a week.  I also calculated what page that would be for each day:
Monday - to page 238
Tuesday - to page 303
Wednesday - to page 368
Thursday - to page 433
Friday - to page 498
Saturday - to page 563
Sunday - to page 627
Aunt Dimity and the Duke is 290 pages
Monday - to page 42
Tuesday - to page 84
Wednesday - to page 126
Thursday - to page 168
Friday - to page 210
Saturday - to page 252
Sunday - to page 290
This might sound and look a bit anal but I have so many things I want to accomplish in my life still that this is the only way I can ensure as much as possible that I can get them done...by keeping track of them and having milestones.  So that is my methodology and this is only for books.  I have yet to apply this method to other areas.  I will update you as I figure those areas out.
I did have a FINISH today though..........The Frost is on the Pumpkin is framed!  The only problem is the glass for it broke when I got it so I will have to buy a cheap frame and use the glass from it to protect it but I haven't done that yet.  This is the back of it before putting it in the frame.  You do the lacing on the long side and then on the short sides you stitch it down to the material on the long side.

 Here it is...finally.......

I also got 2 lovely cards in the mail today for my birthday.....the Post Office is scoring a big fat zero as she sent these last week........our government is dysfunctional on so many levels!
But they are much loved and appreciated (the cards not the government...lol)!
This is what Sam and Grayson wrote....too cute..........love the "meery cwismiss"!
and of course my daughter's sweet handwritten sentiment.....I am so blessed!
 I hope you had a great Monday and that you are off to a good start this week!
Happy Trails!!!

20 comments:

  1. Happy Happy Birthday Sam! Your frost on the pumpkin turned out really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Frost in the Pumpkin turned out great. You chose the perfect frame for it. Your reading plans are so ambitious. I barely have been getting my Bible reading done while here in Omaha, but I count that as good. I did make it about halfway through the “Hygge” book you recommended while on the flights here last Saturday. It’s pretty good. :-) have a great Tuesday!
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to put that down...I read 3 chapters a day of the Bible but I've been slacking and need to get back to it. I also listen to Daily Hope...daily. Which Hygge book? The fiction or the non-fiction? You have a great day also!

      Delete
  3. Love the stitching. Haven't seen one framed up that way. I usually just cut to size, iron and stick it in a store bought frame. I used to have my stitchings professionally done but now only make small things so it's not worth it. Good luck with reading. I'm definitely not so focused or organized with anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to have mine professionally done too and it was not cheap....in fact, I still have finished items to frame but now that I've done it myself that will be the way I go from now on. Plus, back in the day there weren't as many frame sizes to choose from if I remember correctly. I am going to be making small things from now on I think. You're a free spirit and because I'm so anal, I appreciate that quality in you. I try and I've come a long way baby! LOL!

      Delete
  4. It's so nice to get cards these days. No one sends them anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, although I'm as guilty as the next person. Now a days the card IS the gift!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loving the pumpkin sampler. I have never framed like that. I always used a sticky board to hold the cross stitch in place.

    Cards are so nice to receive. They are a gift in themselves.

    You have some serious reading to accomplish now. Never thought about planning pages per day to help me complete a book in a timely manner.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are probably the only one that won't think I'm nuts because I know you are very organized or you wouldn't be able to accomplish all you do! I thought of the sticky board but I know I would get it on there crooked and mess it up. I have trouble with my screen protector on my tablet....it still has bubbles in it! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know you are happy to get the Frost on the Pumpkin framed. And the birthday cards are sweet! Enjoy your evening sweet friend. I'm between books and need to find a new one to read tonight. (I started 3 that I didn't get far into before I stopped! lol) Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm enjoying Aunt Dimity and the Duke. Have you read all of McCall and Winspear? You probably have! Harry Potter? Louise Penny? You are usually way ahead of me when it comes to reading! Let me know what you pick...good luck! Is this your first book for 2018?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your Frost is off the Pumpkin is so darned cute! I tried needlepoint like that several years ago and made something, don't even remember what it was or where it is now but it was fun. Thanks to you I have ordered 3 books from thrift books! Yay! One is The Orphan Train which I've wanted to read forever, the other two are The Silent Wife and The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, all three recommended to me. Happy Belated Birthday to you! Sounds like you have a busy 2018 ahead of you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alicia! Thank you. I'm going to try and not do BIG projects anymore....smaller ones that I can finish! LOL! I have the Henrietta Lacks book but haven't read it...I think I started and then got side tracked per usual. That's why my word this year is FINISH! Wish me luck!

      Delete
  11. I love your pumpkin Sam! :) Beautiful FINISH. :) I love your two goals...those are pretty much like mine and Alex's. Move to our "home" town (wherever that might be!) and live a homegrown, homemade and self-sufficient life. Way to go! We can do this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your grandsons sent you THE BEST card! I love the Snoopy bit and their personal messages inside. I can feel your determination on finishing projects this year. You will do it, Sandra. You have that drive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your vote of confidence! It helps tremendously when I have supportive friends Like I do on this blog!

      Delete
  13. This is so inspirational post dear Sam!

    I loved this beautiful finish!
    You are so skilled: )

    Reading your post made me feel so proud of you that how wonderfully you have planned your goals and how nicely and wisely you tend to process them !

    Reading plan sounds INTENSIVE though my heartiest best wishes are with you that may you can achieve all you have planned successfully.

    How lovely that your little Angel wrote birthday note for you dear Sam: )

    Wishing you and your precious family a very happy and prosperous New year


    ReplyDelete
  14. I appreciate your thoughts on setting goals and how you plan to work on them. I look forward to being inspired by how you work on your goals. And seeing more of your finishes. And I'm tickled to see the Frost on the Pumpkin picture. How cute! Now I want to go cross-stitch something.

    I'm curious about the story behind wanting to get back to your hometown. If you've shared it elsewhere on your blog, just tell me to wander around and check it out. If you haven't, I'd love to hear more.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and for commenting. Comments are "grist for the mill" and I appreciate each and every one of them!