Sunday, October 22, 2017

YOP Week #17

Hi everyone!  I was going to blog earlier as I was up REALLY early this morning but then I laid down for a bit and now it is 3:30 p.m.!  I  never nap but I made an exception today.  It's been another busy week around here.  I knew it was going to storm this weekend so I worked trying to get outside chores done this past week.  I did get grub granules spread on the lawn (I need more) to keep the armadillos from digging up the lawn.  I mowed the lawn and got my sidewalks swept, brought some plants in and put out the last of the Fall decorations.............
 a few more in the house........
and one of my favorites..........my fiber optic scarecrow!  Creepy huh?  He changes through a rainbow of color and at night he really looks creepy, lol!
I worked on my sweater on breaks but it is almost 400 stitches in one row so progress has slowed.  I only have 4 more rows before I split for the sleeves...........it's all bunched up on the needles......you can see my progress keeper there and it looks like about 3 inches since last week.....so far so good............
Most of my time was spent getting the grands Halloween box ready...........here are their 2017 Halloween collectible ornaments...LOL!  I saw a picture and tried to recreate,,,'nailed it'! NOT!  But they are pretty scary looking.  They're made of wool and my blanket stitch was really rusty.  I  made one for myself but couldn't finish it as I couldn't find the iris for the eye so I guess I'll have to cut out another one.  I made my own pattern too...can you tell...lol!  I think next year I'll order a kit...I am no artist!  They're supposed to be primitive and they truly are....ha! ha!  But they'll be added to the other ones I've made them over the years for their Halloween tree.
They're also getting books..............this is Grayson's..........
Uriah's...he loves Goosebumps....looks pretty scary to me!
and for Sam, I thought I would introduce him to The Hardy Boys.....book #1....we'll see how he takes to a good mystery...............these were all from Thrift Books...Grandma's on a budget! LOL!
I got these coffin boxes at the Dollar store to hold the ghost pretzels which I haven't made yet...........the 2 bigger boxes are for the adults..........
 But I have all the ingredients including the eyeballs......I'll show you next week how they turn out........what would a Grandma do without Pinterest?
and of course, I had to have orange wrapping paper................
I had wanted to finish my 2nd sock this week but that did not happen but I did get 4 squares done on my Cozy Memories Blanket...........those top 4 squares..............
I got some fabric in the mail that I ordered to make a mug rug for my daughter and a project bag for me but that hasn't happened yet either..............but isn't the fabric adorable?  I got it at the Fat Quarter Shop online............ 
This will be the back of the mug rug and the lining for my project bag............
I also got some stitch markers and a progress keeper from Maker's Haven that I ordered but they are pricey so I will have to make my own from now on but I needed an example anyway.........I do love hers....jewelry for your handwork!  There's another stitch marker but it is on my sweater as I was desperate for them!  I wanted some Halloween ones but didn't see any I liked really............so I got some fall ones with an apple and fall colors..............does anyone know of an Etsy shop or someone that sells great stitch markers and progress keepers?  I thought they showed up pretty good on my tablet with the back lighting.............
That's all for this week...hopefully next week the Halloween crafting will be done along with my sock and I will have 'sleeves' or the start of them on my sweater.  Tomorrow is Walmart shopping, more outdoor work and maybe some window washing.....the storms today brought in a cold front and it really is the end of summer now.....no more 80's even.....now it's low 70's or high 60's....perfect for working outside and the rain has been so cozy.  Great candle burning weather!  Have a great week!
Happy Trails and Happy Crafting and Happy Fall!!!







17 comments:

  1. Your decorations are just adorable. The gifts for your grands are spectacular. I used to love the Hardy Boys books Better than Nancy Drew lol. That sweater is coming along quite nicely. Sounds like your weather will be sweater weather quickly. We had 2 days below 90 this week and now we are flirting with 100 again. Please send me some cool breezes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it will cool off soon there as you are surrounded by snow in the west and a cold front to your east. But I will send some your way for sure!

      Delete
  2. Your post is very halloweeny. I love the scarecrows. I like the new squares on the memory blanket. They are so addictive aren't they? Your sweater looks great and you have the same colour knitkit as I do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you....that 'knit kit' is a lifesaver...I've used it for years now. Yes, the CMB squares are addictive and I am really using up my old acrylics fast for this blanket. It's a great way to use up stash of any kind.

      Delete
  3. Lots of fall crafting is happening at your house! Your sweater is growing quickly, just in time for fall to arrive on your doorstep. We had our first fire of the season in the wood stove yesterday. I so enjoyed its warmth. It's plenty chilly here these days. Enjoy the nice fall days you have there my friend.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last week the AC was on and this week the heat! Crazy weather time of year. I need to get my fireplace cleaned out and ready. I had a wood stove on the farm that I loved....fireplaces are not nearly as heat giving but at least I get the atmosphere...so cozy and great for knitting/crocheting in front of! Have a great week!

      Delete
  4. I love your decorations. I'm the sort that will skip it and go straight to Christmas decorations, ha ha! I am so busy with the garden, I just don't have time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Halloween and Fall has always been big with my family...we love it!

      Delete
  5. Loved all that you shared. This is the best time of year for knitting. Now those are great stitch markers!!! I have never seen such fancy ones. hugs, lj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stay tuned as I am thinking of making my own and maybe a giveaway in the future!

      Delete
  6. Your fall decorations are great! I need to go find mine. I usually misplace them until after the season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised at myself because that is usually the way it is with me but I finally grabbed some plastic containers colored for the season and threw everything in it last year....it worked! They were all there this year and the orange container was easy to spot in my basement mess! LOL!

      Delete
  7. You have been busy!! Stitch markers should be easy to make...I have a bunch of "stuff" I will have to see what I can do :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish I had paid attention last week when we were enjoying sunny and unseasonably warn days to the chilly, rainy weather forecast for this week. I would have gotten all my power washing done outside. Now that it's starting to actually behave like autumn, it looks like I may have to wait to power-wash 'till spring. Oh well... ;^)

    Your primitive black cats are great! I love that you designed them yourself, Sam. And all your other Halloween themed projects and supplies look fun.

    I suggest making your own stitch markers, Sam. They aren't hard - says she who has all the supplies to make dozens and dozens and has only made a handful. But you, my friend, are much more productive than I. Once you set up a little work station you would whip them out in no time (as would I - if I'd just do it). Please inspire me, Sam. Or maybe we could inspire each other. Maybe by next weekend I'll have gotten out my beads, wires and large clasps and put me together some cute stitch markers. Whoo hoo! Challenge on!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your sweater is coming along nicely as is the cosy memories blanket. I love all of your Halloween presents - I used to love the Hardy boys, but was slightly more into the famous five. Do make your own stitch markers - I buy quite a lot but only from the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How did I miss this post? I know I read it! I remember reading the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew when I was younger. They actually made a live-action show of both of those series, and I was hooked! Your fiber-optic scarecrow is great, I LOVE creepy! lol! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You go on all of that outside work. By golly, you totally deserved that nap. I didn't know armadillos dug up grass. What funny, little creatures. We have gopher issues all around here.
    Thank you for your past four visits. I'm glad the cards came out well; it was worth it to slip in that new stencil. Yeah, sorry, I'm on this big fantasy genre kick right now. But I'm adding in more cozy mysteries. I like how the characters have an interest in some kind of hobby or profession that I like.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and for commenting. Comments are "grist for the mill" and I appreciate each and every one of them!