Sunday, September 24, 2017

YOP Week #13

If you recall last week I was having problems with my sewing machine....well......I fixed that.....I bought a new machine!  Some of you who visit me during the week have seen some of this but for the people who only come to YOP on Sunday I am reiterating it...........I apologize for the repetition if you've seen it before....
So........I sewed!  I got the 'quilting in the ditch' done on the first I Spy quilt and I did it without even using my walking foot....this machine is a dream to sew on!
This is the back............you can see the quilting lines better.........
 I watched several You Tube videos to refresh my memory on how to bind and even one on 'scrappy' binding.....I have red gingham in my head but we'll see.  It won't be a wide binding.  There's also a binding that is completely machine sewn...no hand stitching.  Have any of you ever tried that?
I finished sock #1 of my Paton's Kroy Sock...........I used a rounded toe but after 2 pairs of these with the rounded toe I am going back to the Kitchener toe.  It fits me better.  I am going to write out my own pattern which is a combination of Susan B. Anderson's "How I make My Socks' and Sandra Paul's (Cherry Heart blog...both of these gals are on my sidebar) pattern.  Susan uses DPN's and Sandra has directions for both DPN's and Magic Loop.  I prefer Magic Loop. 
I ordered some Chiagu 32 " cables for sock knitting and I started using them on sock #2 and LOVE!!!  The cable doesn't twist and the points are 'pointier' than my Addi Turbo which I also love but their cable twists.  I haven't gotten very far on the cuff yet.
I thought I'd be done with my cross stitch this week but being out of town and tired meant it didn't see much love until last night....it should be done soon though as I only have the letters 'o,s,t' and the word 'the' left and then my snowflake buttons (still have to order them!), washing and framing and I should have a new Halloween project to decorate with in time for THIS Halloween!  Amazing for me although this project is years old! LOL!  BTW, I really like the new frame but it is hard to get those handles off.  But still much better than the wooden hoop with the metal screw plus it's gentler on your stitches.
 A couple more acquisitions besides the sewing machine and the new needles and hoop...........
Whenever I'm at Wally World I check out the yarns and this time they had these 2 new colors which I grabbed.  I'm always doing wash cloths and it's nice to have a variety of colors on hand.  
A new book I've been wanting ever since Joyce of Ruby Moss Cottage talked about it and showed a doily she was crocheting from it..............it has a wonderful array of projects from a variety of designers.  I'll be making everything!  LOL!
I hope you've had a good week and that you are looking forward to Fall (one of my fav seasons...once it cools off down here! LOL!)  Enjoy your 'making' and Happy Trails!!!

16 comments:

  1. Your new sewing machine looks great, Sam. I look forward to hearing about your sewing escapades and how the new machine is working for you. That sock looks gorgeous. And I remember when you were ready to give up on sock-knitting some months back. You are amazing at sock knitting now! I've never tried any other frame than the round or oval hoops (for embroidery or cross stitching). I'm curious what makes these so hard to take apart, but I'm curious about how much easier they are on the stitches. I may have to get me one of those just to try it. I'll look forward to seeing what you make from the Crochet Boho book. The projects on the cover look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They probably wouldn't be hard to take apart if I didn't have arthritis. Yes, I'm so glad I did not give up on the sock knitting! LOL!

      Delete
  2. Your quilt is coming along wonderfully. Isn't it amazing the difference a good machine makes? I agree with you on sock toes. I tried the rounded toes too, but I much prefer the kitchener toes. And it's fun to be able to combine patterns to make them your own, exactly how you like them. I'm also glad you like the chaiagoo needles so much. I love mine. Just for the reasons you said.
    Blessings , Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your new machine... I stitch in the ditch without my walking foot on my machine, I find it easier. All that money I spent on that dang foot, lol... I am looking at patterns now to make socks, not sure if I can get the knack of it but am going to try. Yours are beautiful...I also saw the new colors at Hobby Lobby but didn't get them, kicking myself, ha... Glad to visit. Hugs, LJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I put you on my sidebar now so I wouldn't lose touch with you! The new machine actually came with a walking foot so it's there if I need it. Good luck with the sock knitting!

      Delete
  4. I am so.glad your new machine is.yhe perfect fit for you. Your new needles are quite nice. I had heard they were wonderful because of their cable. You will be a sock master shortly. I tok prefrr yhe Kitchener toe for the fit. Rounded toes are fine for slippers though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far I am really happy with it and there is no vibration or jumping around on the table....s m o o t h.............! LOL!

      Delete
  5. I love that you are making your own sock pattern! Perhaps you will share it and maybe do your own You Tube tutorial!! I would watch and maybe try a sock:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm just combining my favorite parts of patterns for my own personal 'sock recipe'....I am not a very good teacher...just ask my kids! LOL! There are good tutorials out there...Very Pink is how I learned but there are others. I might podcast someday....maybe....Ha! Ha!

      Delete
  6. Our library has that book, so I placed an order to have it interloan. I can't wait to get it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sam :)) Oh my gosh what a fun looking sewing machine! Looks way too complicated for me though...but I resist change lol...I like straight and if I must, zigzag only! :)) Congrats, I hope it works out really well! The quilt looks great! Oh gosh I couldn't use those itty bitty needles, I'm going to learn that Magic Loop method...otherwise it's the dreaded DPN's lol...your sock really looks nice. I have to try different patterns to see which ones fits me just right too. I love the Peaches and Cream yarn! Happy week Sam, I hope it cools off for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on the new machine! I hope you love your Janome as much as I love mine. Yours looks quite a bit fancier than mine, but you'd need fancier than mine to do quilting.

    I think I mentioned how much I love that colourway from Kroy? Yep, every time I see it, I love it! But it's DPNs for me :)

    Interesting new fangled cross stitch frame! About time someone improved on those old wood hoops!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your new machine looks lovely and it looks like you have been getting on well with it. Your socks look brilliant, look at you go now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so excited for you with your new machine. It will be so much fun to learn all its abilities. I love knitting socks on tiny needles. I have become addicted to nine inch circulars - usually 2.25mm.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sandra, I love how you're quilting. I need to get back up on the sewing horse but I feel like crap this week. I had to Google quilting in the ditch; now I understand it. I hope to make a simple quilt one day. You are so fast whipping out a HFO! I love my Chiaogoo set; I don't have the small, sock circulars but have 2's - 15's. The untwistable cable is why I chose Chiaogoo Reds. That book looks like it has fun projects. Crochet is always a nice change from knitting.
    I totally understand why you may not be a fan of fantasy. I like how my book club is challenging me to read books with substance. Our next book is The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. We won't discuss it until November. I have the hard copy but will pick up the sound recording from the library. I can't decide which would be better for me to "read". The text I would probably ingest more as I usually multitask with audiobooks.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and for commenting. Comments are "grist for the mill" and I appreciate each and every one of them!