Monday, September 18, 2017

Monday Book Date and more!!!

I'm still not getting a lot of reading in lately.  I'm sure I will when Fall closes in on us and we have rainy, windy nights here....great cozy reading weather!  For now, I did finish this one which was excellent and I think I gave it 5 *****.........very sad about the brainwashing and abuse of women and children but it was very revealing about what went on in the FLDS community and probably is still going on.  It's hard to believe that it was/is allowed in this supposedly democratic country!  Anyway, I highly recommend it!  There's a 2nd book out by her....I may have to read that one too!
 I'm still reading this one...........very well written but I've just been too tired by the time I 'hit the hay'.....I'm going to have to go to bed earlier so I can read for awhile without dozing off by the 2nd page! LOL!


My new non-fiction is something a bit lighter and so far very well written, enjoyable and entertaining....... it is a book containing 20 essays on knitting by Rachel Herron and I highly recommend this book even though I'm not finished!  Each essay is unique though and if you are a knitter this book was meant for you!  I got it on sale with one of those Kindle deals.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Amazon states: "In these 20 heartfelt essays, Rachael Herron celebrated romance novelist by day, 911 dispatcher by night, shows how when life unravels there s always a way to knit it back together again, many times into something even better. Honest, funny, and full of warmth, Herron s tales, each inspired by something she knit or something knit for her, will speak to anyone who has ever picked up a pair of needles. From her very first sweater (a hilarious disaster, to say the least) to the yellow afghan that caused a breakup (and, ultimately, a breakthrough), every piece has a moving story behind it. This beautifully crafted and candid collection is perfect for the knitter who loves to read and the reader who loves to knit."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 I'm still reading this National Geographic from August 1992....the stories and information remain relevant..........
 What's up next?  Well, I have read Margaret Atwood before but never The Handmaid's Tale and now that it won an Emmy I want to read the book!  I may just succumb as I am REALLY wanting to read it and with the Kindle I could be reading it tonight!  But I should check Thrift Books first....they probably have it much cheaper............okay...I just checked and Amazon is $10 while Thrift Books is a little over $7.  Hmmmm.....I'm thinking the Kindle version tonight!?!?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Amazon states:   "Now a Hulu Original Series 
The Handmaid's Tale is a novel of such power that the reader will be unable to forget its images and its forecast. Set in the near future, it describes life in what was once the United States and is now called the Republic of Gilead, a monotheocracy that has reacted to social unrest and a sharply declining birthrate by reverting to, and going beyond, the repressive intolerance of the original Puritans. The regime takes the Book of Genesis absolutely at its word, with bizarre consequences for the women and men in its population.The story is told through the eyes of Offred, one of the unfortunate Handmaids under the new social order. In condensed but eloquent prose, by turns cool-eyed, tender, despairing, passionate, and wry, she reveals to us the dark corners behind the establishment’s calm facade, as certain tendencies now in existence are carried to their logical conclusions. The Handmaid's Tale is funny, unexpected, horrifying, and altogether convincing. It is at once scathing satire, dire warning, and a tour de force. It is Margaret Atwood at her best."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Doesn't it sound so interesting?   I read Margaret Atwood years ago...like over 20?  Maybe longer than that when she first started writing and I thoroughly enjoyed her but then I went back to school and work and REALLY did not read anything but textbooks and IBM manuals for years! LOL!   I forgot what a great writer she is.....I can't wait to read it and more of her books!
As for t.v. or movies.....no  movies and only 1 or 2 podcasts but I have been watching the Father Brown mystery series on Netflix....so good!     
What have you been reading, listening to and watching this week? 
Happy Trails!!!

9 comments:

  1. I was thinking about reading The Handmaid's Tale...let me know if you like it. I'm still reading Rhys Bowen and now my hubby has started the Molly Murphy series. It's wonderful! And I watched the Loooong...Saaaad Dallas Cowboy game last night. They lost! lol I'll be glad when Poldark and When Calls the Heart come back on. I need to check and see when they do! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know about Poldark and When Calls the Heart (my fav!)...although I don't think I'll be able to see them until they go on Netflix after the season is over...not sure. I miss my football games although the Bears are doing poorly (per usual) but Iowa is winning! I get to listen to them on the radio.
      I'm hesitant to read it as I don't like to read about negative things and I have a feeling it will be. My daughter LOVES the Molly Murphy series. I'm goin gto have to list all the series so I read one at a time and finish....even on T.V. That's why I'm watching Father Brown until I finish! LOL!

      Delete
  2. Ok, get out of my brain lol. I just ordered "A Cypress Hollow Yarn Novel" by Rachel Herron. It is a series of 3 books and of course I gotthem vrom Thrift books lol. I too keep falling asleep while trying to read The Memory Keepers Daughter. Let me know how The Handmaids Tale is. I have been thinking of getting it.

    Here is the Kale chip recipe

    A quick kale chips recipe that will satisfy your craving for a salty, healthy snack.

    Ingredients:
    1 bunch kale
    2 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
    1/4 tsp. smoked paprika
    1/2 tsp. sea salt
    Directions:
    Wash and spin dry kale. Cut or tear leaves into pieces – removing stem in the process. Mix olive oil, paprika, and sea salt in a large bowl. Add kale and mix to coat with a spoon or rubber spatula. Arrange kale on dehydrating trays. Dehydrate at 115° for 2-4 hours.

    Related foods:
    Kale

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer, "Great minds think alike!". LOL! We are always on the same wave length....it is strange sometimes. I'll put those other books by Rachel on my list....thank you! Also, thank you so much for the Kale Chip recipe! I copied it into a file and then printed it off. All ready for my grocery list when I go to Wally World later this week! You're a doll!

      Delete
  3. You got some good reading done and with books that have meat in them. I am zooming along in the fantasy genre. I also have some challenging reads up next. I haven't watched Hulu ever since I had finished the Gilmore Girls and the mini series of them 10 years later. I've been listening to audiobooks and trying to catch up on podcasts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You came up on Good Reads and you have been reading a ton! Unfortunately, I am not a fantasy genre person except for Harry Potter and The Narnia Chronicles. I think I might give The Tolkien books a try down the road...we'll see. What was your goal this year on Good Reads? I bet you've met it already! I'm behind I'm sure. Good to hear from you!

      Delete
  4. Hey there, friend. Long time since I commented. I've read "A Handmaid's Tale" a few months ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. I've not seen the show but I'm not sure I want to. I just finished "Beneath A Scarlet Sky" by Mark Sullivan. It's a really good historical fiction based on a real Italian who worked to save Jews during World War 2. BTW, I'm posting again. Come over for a visit.
    Hugs, Sharon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear from you and glad you liked the book! I think I heard of the one by Mark Sullivan too. I really like true stories and that sounds like a good one! I will come by and out you on my list on the right side so I can see when you post. So happy you are posting again! Hugs ~ Sam

      Delete
  5. Hi Sam :) I can't really comment on books lately because I haven't been in the mood to read! But you are right, as soon as the rainy cooler weather comes, I'll be cuddled up all Hygge under blankies with candle light, reading all the books I've collected since the spring!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and for commenting. Comments are "grist for the mill" and I appreciate each and every one of them!