Tuesday, February 5, 2013

EBR 2013 - January Books

Well, where did that month go?  It's February already and I guess I must have been asleep at the wheel so I'm late with this post.  From now on I'll be posting books read and reviews monthly at the end of the  month to accommodate the Embarrassment of Riches group that I joined.  I'm going for the Platinum award which means 50 books in 2013 (books which I already own to go through book stash) which is approximately 4.166666666 books per month.  It looks like I'm ahead of the game so far! LOL!


 1.  Leaving Home - Garrison Keillor  (fiction or embellished non-fiction?)
     Great book especially if you're familiar with his radio broadcasts about Minnesota.  It had me laughing out loud!  Basically, each chapter is a reading from his radio show about Lake Woebegone, his (fictional?) hometown in Minnesota and the people who live there.  Garrison can make you cry and make you laugh and sometimes simultaneously!
 2.  Bet Your Bottom Dollar - Karen Gillespie (fiction)
      I received this book from Kim over at Camp and Cottage Living awhile ago and it was a funny and enjoyable read.  It's the first in a series I think and I may be on the look out for more.  It tells the story of a group of close knit friends and employees who work at a Dollar Store (independently owned) when a big chain Dollar Store is threatening to move into the area and put them out of business.  It takes place in a small Southern town and there's some intrigue, romance and genuine friendship that goes on.  It's a heartwarming read and the plot was really interesting and unusual for a change.


3.  The Glad Season - Paula Elizabeth Sitts  (fiction)
     Story about a parent-less boy growing up in the wilds of British Columbia with his Grandmother.  I loved this book and every child should have this type of childhood!  Lots of nature, wildlife, self-sufficiency and a true look into the hard work, love and interdependency we need to revisit.  This boy had no time for drugs and there were no gangs to join.  Very well written too.
4.  Finding Grace - Donna Van Liere (non-fiction)
     What a great attitude towards life and hard times this woman has.  Very well written and it is true bolster to the spirit.  If you want to feel good about yourself, your life and faith you should read this book!

5.  Wapiti Wilderness - Margaret and Olaus Murie (non-fiction)
Okay, I saved the best for last.  Hands down this is the best "nature" book I've ever read.  I gave a pretty extensive review in a past post which I don't want to redo here but the Muries, Olaus and his brother Adolph were famous biologists back in the early 1900's.  They've both written numerous books on nature and the studies they did for the U.S. Department of Wildlife Management.  This particular book is the best one so far as it is written jointly with Olaus's wife, Margaret.  It tells not only of Olaus's work studying the elk (Wapiti) in and around Jackson Hole, Wyoming but also includes Margaret's life with the children and the outings they took as the family of a field biologist.  Those children had the life!  It also tells much of the early history of those who settled that area along with it's growth over the years they lived there.  Olaus's beautiful line drawings are included and several photos of the family and their residences over the years they lived there, which were many. I loved this book!

6.  Life of Pi - Yann Martel (fiction) 
This was a good book and so good they made a movie out of it but I haven't seen the movie and after reading the book I will not see the movie.  The story was interesting and unusual but the violence and carnage was not something I bargained for and it always amazes me what goes on in the mind of people who can write that type of thing.  I love animals and I understand nature itself is violent but let's not make it up.  It almost made me sick to my stomach it was so graphic and albeit I have an abundance of empathy in my system and people tell me "it's only fiction" but it frightens me about the type of people who make it up in their heads...what kind of thoughts are those?  But then I have never seemed to "go with the flow" of society regarding what's popular or "in" so if you are a "normal" person you'll probably like it but me.....not so much.  I live in the old days of polite literature where the graphic scenes regarding anything were left to the imagination: to me that took much more talent. 
BTW...this was the last new book I bought around Christmas time.  It's not been easy but I am really enjoying reading these books "I've been meaning to read"!  Thank you EBR! 

5 comments:

  1. I would probably like a few of those books ... The Glad Season, Finding Frace and Wapiti Wilderness. I need to make myself read a bit from The China Study every night. I got to page 36 when I bought it, but then didn't continue -- I like to read when I travel, but then never seem to do it when I'm home as there are choices to be made every day about how I spend my time, and much of it is taken up with preparing for the next day. :/ The days truly are just flying by of late. Maybe because I'm so busy at school and then when I get home there's always something to do. Hope you are having a good day. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I'm not a prude, but I also don't like vulgarity or carnage. I mean, the world is crazy enough as it is. I remember when I read Pet Cemetery by Stephen King as a teenager -- I had nightmares after that. I just don't understand why people want to make movies or tv shows or write books where there is such brutality and evilness. I prefer light, happy and inspiring. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am finding that I read less each year. I used to read over 50 books a year, but I guess there will be time when my kids are all out on their own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for giving us amazing information on covid. I am a writer and i was trying to write a book on this topic. From this article, i got the best idea. Also, i am taking help from grace point publish. There are amazing and now they are helping to write my book. If you are a new writer then you can also contact them. You will be beneficial to them. Self-help book publisher

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and for commenting. Comments are "grist for the mill" and I appreciate each and every one of them!