Thursday, May 31, 2012

Book Reviews!

I was a bit under the weather yesterday so I didn't blog or do much of anything else either.  But I did finish 2 books I'd been reading so I didn't sleep the whole day away. Thank goodness or I would have been up all night!

This is a big book, 434 pages but I still did not want it to end.  Peter Jenkins is the best darn travel/adventure writer I've ever read and I highly recommend this book if you like that genre.  His books read like novels and I get lost in his tales and feel like I've actually experienced it myself.  His books are the closest thing to being there you will ever read!  I've read quite a few books on Alaska but this one was the best.  Plus, he goes places and does things that you wouldn't probably do even if you went there.  First of all, you wouldn't know some of these places/events existed and secondly even if you did you might not want to be that brave!  There are pictures in the book too but not enough in my estimation.  It's an exhilarating read!  
This is one of my favorite mystery writers for a plain old fun read with murder but not gore.  I can read her right before I go to sleep and not have bad dreams.  M.C. Beaton lives in the English Cotswolds where her character Agatha Raisin now resides after retiring from her own public relations firm.  This is the first book in the series and Agatha is quite the character.  I thoroughly enjoy English mysteries of this type and Ms. Beaton has another series from when she lived in Scotland featuring Constable Hamish Macbeth but I haven't read any of those.  This was an enjoyable read.  I already have the next book too.  I'm off to make up for laying around yesterday! LOL!  Hope you're enjoying your Thursday....the last day of May 2012! 

3 comments:

  1. Sorry that you were feeling poorly..but, I'm glad that you had some time to catch up on some good books :)

    I'll have to check out the Peter Jenkins book. I've never heard of him.

    Hope you're feeling more in the pink today .

    Smiles :)
    Kerin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sam, sorry to hear you weren't feeling well. I feel tired most days and just rather blah at times. Work is crazy and then I get home and try to deal with all that needs to be done. Two more weeks of school and the the summer holiday begins. I can't wait. It was 117 here yesterday. Boy! You can't imagine how hot it feels with the heat just radiating off the pavement. Not enough grass and trees around to absorb the heat. Getting dusty out there today so we are hanging out at home. My most favorite thing to do. Puttering! And maybe I'll get some reading done over the summer. I have a stack of books next to my bed to get through. Hope you have a good one. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry you were unwell. I was feeling quite dragged out myself so I don't know if it's the weather or what. Anyway, I'm happy you are feeling better. I love the Hamish Macbeth books. I think you would enjoy them. It is 58 and raining here right now so I'm thinking it might be a good day to be a slug without guilt! I have 2 books by Garrison Keillor from the library and my Kindle is loaded so it's all good.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and for commenting. Comments are "grist for the mill" and I appreciate each and every one of them!